A little less conversation...

Posted by spriglet On Friday 27 April 2012 10:00
...a little more action puh-lease. This year, I decided, is all about doing stuff. It sounds simple but it's not something I'm used to. I have a habit, partly learned from my wonderful parents, of talking about all the things I'd like to do. All the things that will happen in the future 'one day'. But then the future comes and I'm not sure why I haven't done them yet...

I tend to rely on other people to help me make things happen; I'd rather experience something with a friend than on my own, whether it's a holiday, or a film, or a walk or an evening class, so I try to arrange with them - but if it falls through I drop it rather than doing it by myself. And what happens? I wind up disappointed and missing out.

I'm not saying I'm not independent - among my friends I think I'm one of the most independent in that I'll go to places on my own, I don't need babysitting on a night bus to get somewhere and will happily trek across London alone at 4am (sorry mum, don't worry!) and I like to have plenty of my own company. But when it comes to the big stuff, I rarely achieve anything by myself that I can look back on and say woohoo, I did that. (And yes, I actually do say 'woohoo' in real life).

Last year I did a better job of this - I did Spanish by myself and met some great friends because of it; I put myself out there and did a bit of freelancing in the print world which, with the help of a kind and patient editor, I did without issues.

So this year I plan to do it even bigger and better. I'm planning holidays that suit me, not just everyone else. I'm working on the stuff I want to do and that I feel shapes my career, not just anything that comes my way. I'm getting fit slowly but surely, in a way that I enjoy and not how everyone else does. To be awfully cringe-inducingly cheesy, I'm making it happen... I just need to make a list of those 'its' to do...

2 Response to " A little less conversation... "

  1. Aw seems like you're in a really positive place! Agree completely, you have to make life happen and make yourself happy - no one else is going to do it for you. x

     

  2. Aw thank you! I'm getting there :) It sounds terribly selfish in black and white but I just want to make sure I don't look back and wish I did things - and the only one that can control that is me! My great aunt's just passed away at the ripe old age of 101 and if I ever live that long I want to have really lived! xx

     

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails