What's in a Name?

Posted by Judy Johnson On Saturday 18 September 2010 23:03
You know how you decide never to call your future child the same name as that girl in school who got pregnant aged 15, or the boy who was the class bully? Well, there's a lot in a name. Even if you don't have a great memory for names, you'll probably have connotations for certain names based on people you've met. 

I think the same applies to men and dating. If you've had a not-so-great relationship with someone called Dave, the idea of getting with another Dave might seem daunting. At least, that's what I feel about it. Every time I hear an ex's name I feel a little twinge of something, which I can't really explain other than being a memory of them which doesn't quite go away.

This happened recently when I wandered into online dating - I was emailing someone but I just couldn't get over the fact that he had the same name as someone else I'd dated, who I'd really rather forget. Then I realised - of all the guys I'd been interested in or met since the big break up (six in total), the same three names have come round twice. Isn't that a little bit odd? 

Turns out, not really. My friend has only dated Chris's (not on purpose, I might add) and another has a bit of a history with James's. But still, I think three names is quite specific and am wondering if it all means something or is pure crazy coincidence. 

So - how much is in a name? Was I right to avoid same-name guy in case he was as bad as the last or is it just complete fluke? And what names do you avoid? (I'm not telling you mine!).

4 Response to " What's in a Name? "

  1. As people don't generally choose their own names, I don't think you should worry about it. Alternatively, you could give all the men you date the same nickname, e.g. 'Fred' or whatever floats your boat. I call all blond women "Blondie".

     

  2. Haha that's not a bad idea. From now on all men are called Bob.

     

  3. Anonymous Said,

    ...they do say old lovers will haunt you

     

  4. Anonymous Said,

    I have had a strange run with names too! My first serious boyfriend was called Dave, my second called Paul and now i am engaged to a Paul David (being his middle name). Now i think that's a bit odd!

    Hope you are well :)

    Good blog xx

     

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails